Looking for ways to Get Motivated?
What’s a running hack you say? Little tidbits of information that can help you get motivated make your run that much better in one way or another.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #1 > Sign up for a race, it will be an exciting experience and it will help you get motivated to run
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #2 > Join a running group, you will meet new people and discover new trails and routes to run. Also, when running with a group, usually you will spend most of the time talking or listening to others conversation, this will help the miles pass quickly
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #3 > Run first thing in the morning, that way life doesn’t get in the way. Get up, put your running clothes on and step out the door, unless you are doing a really long run, you will be fine without having breakfast first.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #4 > Don’t think, just do it. Don’t let the little voices start making excuses as to why you can’t or shouldn’t run today.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #5 > You will get sore muscles and tight muscles from running so invest in a massage stick it does an amazing job on all your sore muscles, and it excels at working out tight calf muscles
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #6 > You will always feel better after a run, no matter how much your brain is telling you to forget about your run for the day, fight back and remind yourself of how great you will feel afterwards
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #7 > Never experience chaffing again. If you’ve ever gone on a run and come back with burning inner thighs or hot spots where your shirt was rubbing against your skin, then you also know how painful it feels when you step in the shower and that blast of water hits those spots! Just rub some Bodyglide on your problem areas and guaranteed you will never come back from a run dreading the shower again.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #8 > Go on ‘exploring runs’, if you are running in a city, keep going straight until you get to a red light, then turn right, repeat the process but turn left, keep repeating. This will bring you on a new and random route and you may discover parts of the city you never knew.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #9 > Don’t wear cotton, invest in a technical shirt that can wick sweat away. As a bonus, lots of races these days are giving out running shirts, another reason to sign up for a race.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #10 >Listen and Learn. Run with an iPod, but instead of music, download some interesting podcasts and learn something new while you run or catch up on current events.
Still trying to get motivated? Read more!
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #11 > Get proper running socks. Nothing kills a good run more than having your socks slip down your heel and bunch up or getting blisters from your socks rubbing against your feet, that’s why I recommend you get running socks that have a double layer of Coolmesh fabric, I have been running with these WrightSock running socks for years and have never had a blister. They keep my feet cool and comfortable
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #12 > When running in the heat, fill up a water bottle half way and place it in the freezer the night before. When you are ready to run, take it out, top it off with water and you will have nice cool water to drink for the duration of your run.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #13 > Read a running book. A great running book will immerse you and motivate you, the top 3 running books I’ve read are Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen, Once a Runner: A Novel, and The Perfect Mile: Three Athletes, One Goal, and Less Than Four Minutes to Achieve It
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #14 > Record your runs in a training log. When your feeling nervous about your preparation readiness for an upcoming race, look back at your previous runs to remind yourself about all the hard work you put in and how it will pay off in the race
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #15 > When heading out for a run on a cold day, place your running clothes in the dryer for 5 minutes to get them nice an toasty warm, then you won’t feel that stinging chill when you step out the door.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #16 > Adopt a running mantra. Sometimes when the going gets tough you need to mentally fight through it and lots of people find that repeating a mantra in their head will help push through the rough spots. Here’s some running mantras to try.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #17 > Mix it up. Don’t just run the same route every day, try to alternate your runs, run some trails one day, try some hills the next. Try varying your distances as well, run one longer run per week.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #18 > The treadmill is your friend. Don’t think of the treadmill as the ‘dreadmill’, it can be a useful tool. The surface is softer than running outside, so it can be used to give your legs a break if you can’t get out to trails to run. It can be used on days when it is too hot outside or too icy on the roads. The treadmill doesn’t have to be boring, schedule your run when you know a good movie will be on or a sporting event. I love to watch the Tour de France while running on the treadmill.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #19 > Don’t eat too much before a run. Speaking from experience, eating something heavy or greasy…like pizza or a hamburger for example to close to your run can leave your stomach in distress. Instead, have a light snack like a granola bar or banana 1.5 to 2 hours before your run.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #20 > Volunteer at a race. If you’ve never run one before, it will be great to see other runners and will get you motivated yourself. On the other hand, if you are a regular racer, then the next time you don’t want to race, volunteer, it will be greatly appreciated, you will feel good and probably meet some new people.
- Get Motivated to Run Hack #21 > Get enough sleep. This is one tip that I always fail on, but it is important and I should try harder to get it done. Your body recovers during sleep, so as you start adding miles and increasing running intensity, your body will appreciate any extra sleep you can give it.
What’s your best way to get motivated?